Getting Started With Digital Resources
Checking out eBooks involves several steps, so we've provided the following FAQ to help guide you through the site. We recommend that you read it before your first use of the eLibrary. If you have any specific questions not addressed in the FAQ, Sunflower eLibrary Help may have the answer, or feel free to email the library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions below are primarily for the Sunflower eLibrary. eBooks (3M Digital) or audiobooks (OneClick Digital Audio) through the Kansas State Library require a different library card than just your Linwood Community Library card. Come in and sign up for the Kansas State Library card to start your journey!
Hoopla requires you to register with Hoopla in order to access eBooks and audiobooks as well as movies and music.
Flipster requires you to use your library card to access the digital magazines. You need to first sign in to your online account. Then you will be able to see the link for Flipster on the left side of the page.
Jump to Section:
- Open the Sunflower eLibrary.
- Click on Sign In.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Linwood Community Library.
- Enter your Linwood Library Card Number.
- Check Required Software below to ensure your computer or device has all of the necessary programs.
- Browse and enjoy!
The eLibrary's materials can be viewed or played on all computers, but the software also supports tablets and mp3 players.
- -Barnes and Noble Nook
- -Sony Reader
- -Amazon Kindle, Kindle Fire, and Kindle Paperwhite (only support Kindle books)
- -Aluratek LIBRE
- -Apple iPad and iPhone
- -Creative ZEN
- -Kobo eReader and Vox
- -Most other smartphones
- -Apple iPod
- -Microsoft Zune
- -Motorola Droid
- -HTC Evo and 7
- -Most other mp3 players
For a full list of compatible devices, please see Overdrive's Device Resource Center.
The Sunflower eLibrary provides a variety of media formats. Specific eReaders and audio players may not be able to use all the respective formats. You may be able to download eLibrary items in more than one format, but not all items are available in every format. We recommend that when checking out materials you should consult the Device Resource Center to verify that the item is available in a format that is compatible with your device.
The formats provided are:
- -Adobe EPUB and PDF books
- -Open EPUD and PDF books
- -Kindle Books (requires an Amazon account)
- -MP3 audiobooks
- -WMA audiobooks, music, and videos (requires a Windows operating system)
- Overdrive Media Console
You will need to download the Overdrive Media Console in order to use all eLibrary items except Kindle books. It is available in versions for Windows, Mac, and various mobile devices. When downloaded, the Overdrive Media Console will create a folder on your desktop that will store all the items you download from the eLibrary.
- Adobe Digital Editions
Because most eBooks in the library are available in Adobe ePub or PDF editions, we recommend that you download Adobe Digital Editions, a program which will allow you to read those files on your computer. In order to run Adobe Digital Editions, you will also need to set up an Adobe ID. Don't worry, this is relatively quick and painless.
If you have Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer or device, it will automatically open whenever you select a library item in the Overdrive Media Console.
- Kindle Cloud Reader
If you don't have a Kindle, but want to check out an item in the Kindle books format, you can download the Kindle Cloud Reader in order to open the item on your computer. As with all Kindle items in the Sunflower eLibrary, use of the Kindle Cloud Reader requires an Amazon account.
- -The limit on checkouts is 5 items per patron.
- -You can have seven items in your cart at one time while browsing.
- -You can place holds on seven more items in addition to your 5 checked-out items.
- -When one of your held items becomes available, you have three days to check it out before your hold expires.
- -The lending period for all formats is automatically set to seven days. However, you can increase the lending period to fourteen days in your eLibrary account.
- eLibrary items are automatically deleted from your account at the end of the lending period. However, you can return an item early so that you can check out more items. To do so, find the item in the Overdrive Media Console, right-click on it, and select "Remove from Collection."
Checking Out Books for e-Readers (other than Kindle)
The process for checking out an eBook varies depending on the type of device you intent to use. Here's how it works with most eReaders:
- Download and install Adobe Digital Editions (see Required Software above). This will also require an Adobe ID.
- Once Digital Editions is installed, sign into the eLibrary with your Linwood Library Card number.
- Once you've found a book you'd like to check out, click on Add to Cart. You can add up to seven books to your cart at any one time (though you can only check out five).
- When you've picked up to five books you'd like to check out, click on Proceed to Checkout in your cart.
- Click the Checkout button. This will give you the opportunity to download all the books in your cart by clicking Download next to each title.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click on Open with: Adobe Digital Editions.
- Extra step for Windows 8 users only: If you are using Windows 8, the downloaded eBook will appear in a Downloads window as well as in Adobe Digital Edtions. You must drag the eBook from the Downloads window into Adobe Digital Edtions; otherwise, ADE will not authenticate your download and you will not be able to transfer the eBook to your eReader.
- Connect the computer and your eReader. Drag the eBook(s) from the Adobe Digital Editions screen to your eReader.
- Disconnect your eReader safely by right-clicking on its icon on the computer desktop and selecting Eject.
Note: Sony Readers that have Wi-Fi hardware installed can download items from the Sunflower eLibrary directly without a computer. This video tutorial demonstrates the process.
Checking Out Books for Kindle
Kindle books can only be read on Kindles, the Kindle smartphone app, and the Kindle Cloud Reader desktop app. To use Kindle books you will need an Amazon account. Here's how the process works on Kindles:
- Sign into the eLibrary with your Linwood Library Card number.
- When you've found a book you'd like to check out, click on the Get for Kindle button. Note: not all eBooks will be available for Kindle.
- You will be taken to Amazon's eBook download page. Don't be alarmed, this is simply part of Overdrive's agreement with Amazon. You will not be charged for the download.
- Click on Get Library Book on the right side of the screen.
- Choose which Kindle or device you would like to receive the eBook. (Your Kindle must be registered with your Amazon account for this to work.)
- Sync your Kindle with the computer. This process varies depending on which version of the Kindle you have, so following the syncing instructions in your Kindle manual.
This video tutorial describes the Kindle checkout process in more detail.
Checking Out Books for Smartphones and Other Mobile Devices
eBooks can also be read on various mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Android, or BlackBerry. Mobile devices can access the eLibrary directly with the Overdrive Media Console mobile app, so you do not need to download your items to a computer. The app does require that you download Adobe Digital Editions. Mobile eBooks work like this:
- Download the Overdrive Media Console app from your device's app store (it's free).
- If you already have an Adobe ID, register the app with your ID.
- If you do not have an Adobe ID, tap Register at Adobe.com and register the app.
- Tap Get Books.
- Tap Add a Website, and then search for the Sunflower eLibrary.
- Tap the star to add the site to your favorites, and then tap the right arrow to activate the site.
- When you've found a book you'd like to check out, tap Add to Cart and then Proceed to Checkout.
- Tap Confirm Checkout, and then enter your Linwood Library Card number.
- Your eBook will launch.
- Swipe the screen with your fingers to turn pages, and tap the center of the screen to bring up the Media Console menu.